W.O.W: ‘Willing to do in One Week‘ to change your life for the better?’
Today’s post is really all about the small and simple practical steps we should take in order to be the change we want to see. A lot happened during the week to make us all reflect on our purpose in life. The world lost a musical icon but most importantly, it would be apt to surmise that as a people, we also gained a deeper awareness of how the choices we make can either make or mar the trajectory of our lives.
It is very easy to make lofty plans, talk about big dreams and set even bigger goals. Yet, many of us seem to stumble when it comes to actually taking the steps/actions required to fulfill our dreams.
Welcome to the unending cycle of procrastination! It is a land filled with well-intentioned dreamers, who simply lacked the discipline to develop the right ‘actions-habits-character’!
So today, in line with our mission at Whole Woman Network to act as catalysts and motivate women with a compelling call to action, we invite you to participate in the W.O.W exercise. Let us start off by asking a simple question:
“What is your W.O.W? That is, what are you ‘Willing to do in One Week‘ to change your life for the better?”
This is a simple exercise that requires 3 things: serious reflection, firm commitment and sincere accountability.
1. Identify and write down 3 areas of your life you wish to improve upon. For example: Spiritual, Financial, Career, Business, Health, Relationships, Beauty, Community Service etc
2. Make a list of accountability partners for each of the 3 areas identified in #1 above. It may be a trusted friend, a colleague, a family member, your pastor/priest/faith mentor etc Contact them and develop a platform of understanding; share your expectations, the deliverables and their roles .
3. What are your goals with respect to each area? Remember your goals must be S.M.A.R.T (Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Realistic and Timely). Some examples: Spiritual (Rediscover your faith), Career (Find a new job in your field in 6 months), Health (Attain a healthy Body Mass Index in 3 months), Financial (Pay off 75% of debts in 9 months and grow net worth by 25%), Relationships (Build stronger ties with 6 family members and 6 close friends), Beauty & Grooming, Business (Start a new business)…
4. Identify 3 activities that you need to do in one week towards achieving your goals identified in #3 above. Some examples are given below:
Spirituality (Confess and start anew, Attend a place of worship regularly, Read your bible daily, Join a faith-based group and participate actively, talk and walk your faith, BE a better person, Give up at least ONE bad habit, Promise yourself to never give up the fight; stand up after every fall etc);
Career (Update your cover letter and resume, time-block two hours each day for job applications, join 3 industry related organizations and network for an hour each week etc);
Health (Eat 75% unprocessed food, Exercise for 5 hours each week, take recommended dose of daily vitamins and supplements etc);
Finance (Do a financial self audit to determine your assets and liabilities, Apply 25% of earnings each month and aggressively pay off debts, Open a TFSA account and invest 10% of earnings monthly etc);
Relationships (Connect periodically with family and friends-phone, email, social media), Celebrate milestones such as birthdays and anniversaries, Prioritize and create great memories with loved ones etc);
Business (Register your business, Develop a workable business/marketing plan, Grow your prospect/client list through word-of-mouth, networking and print/social media, Attend business-related workshops and implement trainings etc);
Beauty & Grooming (De-clutter your wardrobe, Change your hair style, Pamper yourself at a spa, Do a make-over, Engage in a hobby etc);
Community Service (Donate personal effects from the de-cluttering exercise above-bags/clothes/shoes etc to a thrift store, De-clutter your pantry/cupboards and donate non-perishable items to a food bank, Volunteer for at least 1 hr per month at a community centre, church, children’s school, Practice generosity without any agenda-give of your time, money, skills, faith etc)
5. Remember to ‘Say less and do more’. Track your progress at the end of the week. Tweak and repeat the process all over again……..
Let us be the first to say: ‘Welcome to the path that leads to sustainable success’!!!
Live beautifully, live passionately, live freely.
Remember, you are not ordinary, you are divinely unique.
You are WOW (Wonderful One-of-a-kind Woman)!
BLOGGER BIO: The preceding blog entry is from Juliet Ume, MBA –Wealth Management Consultant & Lifestyle Coach at Whole Woman Network. Juliet is an avid Life Connoisseur and a passionate advocate of WomEntrepreneurship, Investment & Financial Literacy for women. Follow her on Twitter: @wholewomaninc
- How To Develop Better Goals: Introducing the Five I’s (sbkandassociates.com)
- Start Your New Year With Spiritual Goals for Success (wisdomswoman.wordpress.com)
- 12 Things Successful People Do Differently (marcandangel.com)