There is an accepted belief that the people and events you surround yourself with ultimately shape the person you become. And so, a few weeks ago, some members of the Whole Woman Network attended a special event hosted by the meet-up group, ‘Leading Lives of Purpose, Passion and Power’, featuring the award-winnning activist, writer and poet Julia Butterfly Hill.
It was a powerful gathering focused on exploring sacred solutions for activating the consciousness of oneness, creativity and social change. The theme for the event was on turning inspiration into action and leading lives of Purpose, Passion and Power!
This was an engaging, extraordinary and transformational event with unimaginably positive energy, great music and stirring spoken word. And for those of you who were not able to make it, here are some nuggets of wisdom and life-changing ideas as espoused by Julia Hill at the event:
1. We have become a society built on ‘Addiction to consumption’. An addiction to consuming media, food, drugs, love etc To function optimally in this new, warped reality, we must build up healthy internal coping mechanisms. Be careful not to be afflicted by the debilitating disease of consumerism.
2. In periods of pain and challenges, take the time to explore what lies at your core and what your true values are. Most often, we distract ourselves to take our minds away from our pain and so we learn nothing and repeat the cycle of unresolved pain all over. When we acknowledge, embrace and confront our pains, we deal with it in the present and then it has no power to hurt us in the future again. A lot of us still experience ancestral pains.
3. You should strive to use up everything you are and have, in the pursuit of what you are truly passionate about. Your purpose in life is to live your life on purpose.
4. Each of us is an amazing miracle of love and the greatest obstacles in our lives are all in our heads.
5. To transform your environment, you must first transform yourselves. And in order to transform yourself, you must first slay the dragon of fear that lies in your head.
6. Every issue, fear, pain and challenge we face is a symptom of a disease; the dis-ease of ‘Disconnect’ from God, the source and creator. This disconnect then manifests itself as a disconnect from people’s pain and so we lash out in our pain rather than celebrate our common humanity and connectivity. We must first deal with the root of the disease.
7. Mother Nature, is frantic like all mothers get when their kids go way out of line. She is screaming at her her children are misbehaving. So she screams and barks to get our attention in the form of Tsunamis, Earthquakes, Floods, hurricanes etc
8. We must become wise in managing our passions and channeling it well while remain open to and/or respectful of opposing ideals because the danger is that the moment we become passionate we are one step away from being fundamentalists!
9. As we say ‘NO’ to something, lets also embody what ‘YES’ feels like. We must own both our humanity and our crap!
10. It is impossible for you NOT to make a difference because even science has shown that all choices are critical to the state of things and choices cannot exist in a vacuum. So know that with every single choice we make, we are all co-creating our world because we are all connected.
11. Consciously make time and space for relationships that matter in your lives.
12. The world robs you by co-opting 2 things from you: i. Your Time and ii. Your Attention
13. Welcome that zone/place where something or someone breaks your heart open, for it is in that zone that something real and meaningful happens.
14. The #1 trait of true wealth is a complete and utter sense of contentment and fulfillment. It is a freedom of the soul to enjoy the NOW.
15. Your enemy is that person on the inside that each of us all have to one day meet or we will be eaten from within.
16. Sometimes what ‘we know’ can get in the way of ‘what we need to know’.
17. Awareness is simply knowingly choosing what you place your energy and attention on. It means showing up and being present, being here!
18. Listen with your heart, Experience with your senses and act with your head. Focus on what breaks your heart open. Disengage from people, things, events and experiences that leave you drained, depleted and depressed.
19. Our right brains tell us a story (ancestor’s story), while your left brain allows you to go into a place of awareness; a shift into mindful spaciousness. When you are open and your heart is unshielded, you can experience true compassion. Compassion is the ability to sense into the pains of others without having to demand, distract or defend.
20. Look for ways to make your life very simple so that you may have time for the truly important stuff.
21. No matter how shut off or shut down people are, they are longing for meaningful connections and purpose.
22. Learn the practice of resetting your magnetic field to attract only the people and opportunities that are right for you. You cannot see in others what you don’t have in yourselves.
23. What is your symbolic tree? Not what you have been called to do but who and what you are called to be.
24. True love does not demand that we impress, neither does it leave us drained, depleted or depressed rather it allows us freedom to be creative, energetic and joyous!
25. Courage is having a heart that is open and engaged to take chances and embrace love, life and death regardless of the inherent fears.
26. In the face of a challenge, our animalistic brain reacts in 3 ways: flight, fight or freeze! These reactions are based on our experiences of past fears and pains. Take a mindful breath and then decide from the present.
27. Humor is an important coping skill. Be curious and have a deep, fascinating interest in life all around you.
28. We cannot control the world but we can control our experiences. Other people can take action but only YOU can control how you experience their action. It is always possible to solve conflicts once we let go of the ego and dissenting issues and choose to focus on our common humanity.
29. Stop playing the compare and contrast game! Who, Where and What you are is exactly as it should be and the best version of you is the best there is.
30. Become aware of how to grow yourself, when to gather your energy and when to stop. Know and distinguish between your source and your resources. Understand your refuge; what eases down your whole body, calms you and re-energizes you. What is your best mode of worship? It maybe prayer, meditation, reading, dancing, listening, singing….
I fervently hope something on this list helps you, as you continue on your journey of leading a life of purpose, passion and power!
Be social! Read| Like| Comment| Share with your network! 🙂
Love, Light & Truth!
-Juliet ‘Kego Ume-Onyido (www.julietkego.com)
Co-Founder & Executive Director, Whole WoMan Network
The preceding post is from Juliet ‘Kego Ume-Onyido, an international Speaker, Poet, Master-Certified Leadership Coach-Trainer-Consultant and the author of the upcoming books: “UN-Locking Your HeArt of Leadership” and “Today, I Will Not Bow”. She is an avid Life Connoisseur, who simply loves the whole human experience ! She is a passionate advocate of WomEntrepreneurship, Leadership Training, Investment & Financial Literacy for women and youth (especially girls). Her mission is simply to engage, educate and empower a new generation of Transformational, Ethical and Creative African Leaders. Follow her on Twitter: @wholewomaninc, @julietumeinc. Enjoy some of her portfolio of poems on her Floetry Blog and follow her daily reflective posts on her Facebook pages: WholeWoManNetwork & JulietKego.
Join the conversation on our Facebook Page: www.facebook.com/wholewomannetwork
Take the next steps. Interested in booking a 30-minutes complimentary Strategy Session? Need more information on WWN’s individual/group/organizational training, coaching and speaking engagements, or our leadership certification programs, contact us via email: firstname.lastname@example.org or call +1.905.709.5866
- Singleness of Purpose (redheadjourney.wordpress.com)
- Healing the pain (awakenamiracle.wordpress.com)
- Purpose vs. Passion (thesynergisticpen.com)
- Grace (un-scripted.net)