Some habits you may have to say goodbye to as the new year approaches:
1. A lack of curiosity about life, people, things, places, events. You have to be interested to be interesting. You have a pulse, use it!
2. Complaining, blaming and justifying everything and everyone. Begin to take personal responsibility and focus on the results you want. Stop believing the fallacy that it can not be done and instead ask yourself: ‘how do I get it done?’
3. Lack of F.U.N and laughter in your life. You have challenges, we get it. So does everyone else on the planet. Why not have fun along the way as you try to figure out this maze called life? Who benefits from a colourless, drab, and sad life?
4. Lack of adequate sleep and rest. You can attempt to play games with Mother nature but expect to lose, period!
5. Eating to feed your pain rather than to nourish your body. There’s a huge difference between the two.
6. Not asking for help and trying to do and control everything yourself. You are not indispensable. Stop playing God. You are definitely not God, (come to think of it, even God has angels as helpers) and he uses mere mortals in his co-creative job.
7. INGRATITUDE! Be thankful for everything and everyone. Nothing is too insignificant. It all matters.
8. Living on auto-pilot without pause for personal silence and reflection. Your life-train will crash if it does not stop and undergo periodic maintenance!
9. Saying yes to just about everything out of fear, insecurity or a need to control others. Say yes or no from a place of power.
10. Lying to yourself. This is the worst lie you can ever tell. Sometimes, you may have to lie to others out of love or protection. Do NOT EVER LIE TO YOURSELF because you still get to live with yourself. Stop such needless torture!
11. Stop criticizing your body. Love it, accept it, celebrate it. It’s all you’ve got. To get a brand new one, you basically have to die, okay? For now, this present body is your only home, so treat it with respect, clean it up and enjoy it. (Unless, of course, you’ve mastered the art of magically transporting yourself to a different body! 🙂 )
12. STOP Texting and Driving, at the same time. Whatever it is, it can wait! Nothing is that urgent. Better be late than to be ‘the late’. Not yet convinced? Spend a full day watching all the YouTube ads by MADD (Mothers Against Drunk Driving).
13. Are you still telling ‘woe me’ stories over and over again? Everyone is dealing with their own crap, don’t add to the crap mountain! 2014 is a good time to stop this habit.
Still take time to feel all your feelings and vent when warranted, but do not become a permanent venting machine. That sh*t gets old really fast. Learn from your past, even take short visits there. However, do not take up permanent residency in the past! Tell ‘WOW ME’ stories, they’re more fun for you and everyone around you. Trust me!
14. Stop sitting on the fence. You will hurt yourself. There’s no life in the ‘grey zone’, make a choice, any choice and course-correct as you go along.
Life is not meant to be perfect. It is meant to be lived. Go out and live, now! 2014 awaits.
Let go of the unhealthy habits, (especially if they no longer add value or serve your purpose), and replace them with healthier and cooler ones.
Learning is a continuos journey, take it one small step at a time. If you can learn, you can always unlearn. It’s a choice. DECIDE now.
Join the conversation on our Facebook Page: www.facebook.com/wholewomannetwork
Take the next steps. Interested in booking a 30-minutes complimentary Strategy Session? Need more information on WWN’s individual/group/organizational training, coaching, speaking engagements, or leadership certification programs, contact us via email: firstname.lastname@example.org or call +1.905.709.5866
The preceding is a guest post from Juliet Ume, MBA –Strategic Interventionist, Wealth Management Consultant & Leadership-Coach at Whole Woman Network. Juliet is the author of the upcoming book: ‘UN-Locking Your HeArt of Leadership.” She is an avid Life Connoisseur and a passionate advocate of WomEntrepreneurship, Leadership Training, Investment & Financial Literacy for women. Her mission is simply to engage, educate and empower women (and men), regardless of their levels of income or background, to return to ‘wholeness’ and live Healthier, Sexier, Wealthier Lives using Faith-based, Scientific and Universal (Common-Sense) principles! Follow her on Twitter: @wholewomaninc, @julietumeinc
- Leadership + People x Culture= BRAND SUSTAINABILITY (benefitpoint.wordpress.com)
- Why Leadership is Gratitude, Too (inc.com)
- MADD-supported bill requiring Interlock systems for all convicted of DWI moves forward (nj.com)
Wow! I really needed this. Thanks
Ella, glad to know this helps you in some way. Sometimes, we just need a reminder. Have an amazing 2014! -J