“I didn’t want to see her because it would make me feel better. I came because without her, it’s hard to remember who I am…” ~ Jodi Picoult,
Floetry by JulietKego: The magic of ‘Sister-Friends’
We almost believed the myth of our alone-ness
We almost fell for the fallacies and lies
of our sad separate-ness
Not just a part, that merely lives and dies
We are also part of a larger whole
Connected in heart, spirit and soul
This is the magic of having a sister-friend
One who stays loyal and true to the very end
One who willingly lets their own inner-light
Guide us in the lonely darkness of our night
They see us without the mirror’s lies
And understand our unwept, silent cries
Sharing our pains and rejoicing in our gains
Our flaws and nakedness they clearly see
Yet, with love in their hearts, they simply let us be!
Oh but the magic of friends, who celebrate our glory
And accept us even when we’re ‘bad’ and ‘unholy’
Embracing us in our private hell and shame
Steadfast and solid, they choose to stay the same
They are there when hopeful hearts get broken,
And spirits become far from merry
As we reminisce on girlish dreams long-buried
They are there when difficult relationships go and come
When young brides, weeping widows or single women become;
New lives rebuilt and new relationships reborn
There to tell us seemingly painful truths and harsh words
Holding us back when we choose to self-destruct on our own swords
Sister-Friends who rally round and crush the tiger’s tail
They save us from that path, and pray that we not derail
There are few things in life that are as sacred and sweet
As the magic of these true sister-friends
We’ve been gifted to meet.
© Juliet ‘Kego Ume-Onyido
As the day begins and as it ends
For only 30 minutes each day
Imagine if you may
That you were one with the light within
And you stopped doing and started being
In being, imagine that you were all-knowing and all-seeing
That you could create everything out of nothing
And indeed the universe was yours in that sacred moment
Take this time for yourself and re-connect with you for a while
And see the landscapes of life suddenly look different by a long mile
Would you step out in courage and sing the songs in your heart or be silent?
Would you create empowering thoughts in your mind or snuff them of life?
Would you continue your patterns of pain, anger, fear and strife?
As you continue to doubt your power and think up excuses and reasons
Excuses of why you are not good enough and these are the wrong seasons
Today, take thirty minutes to reflect, meditate, pray and let your spirit soar and fly
And with an eagle’s wisdom begin to discern the truth from the lie
As you discard the fallacy of your unworthiness, and embrace your magnificence
Begin to bask in your light and beam out your true essence
Will you let the gift of time simply, slowly, sadly, pass you by
As you selfishly and fearfully hold on to your talents and big ‘WHY?’
Will you choose to take action in the midst of your fears and stand tall?
On the grave of those buried, limiting beliefs that crippled you to fall?
As the day begins and as it ends
For only 30 minutes each day
Imagine if you may
That you are co-heirs and co-creators
Of a kingdom built upon unconditional love
Imagine you had the wisdom of an eagle and the peace of a dove
And as you imagine you must know now
That the thought ‘impossible’ is a lie, and leads to endless cycles of ‘Fight-Flight’
Be certain now that for every dream you dream, be it in the day or at night
The question you must always ask is ‘How?’
How can it be done? How can you excel and pull through?
You must get off the fence and always take action, empowered action!
As you fulfil and honour your inner calling and passion
So dear, dear friends, for only 30 minutes a day,
Reflect, meditate and PRAY sitting, standing or on your knee
Magic and miracles happen if you let them be
So pray, work hard and simply flow with it, if you may,
This eternal spring of love and light within you
For the world awaits, as you manifest your light for all to see!
© ‘Kego Onyido
“There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.” ~Albert Einstein~
LIFE! A series of moments.
-An Original Poem
Until you know, you do not know
You can only do that which you do know
So open up to the world all around you
And keep looking until you find the answers
The answers are buried within you
If you dare to look past the walls and tear yourself
Away from the self-imposed prison around your soul
Clear the cobwebs and the fog of fear, arise from the pitiless hole
The hell of today becomes paradise with a single step
So take action, just a single step forward into this vision
Drink this moment in. For all of life is a series of magical moments.
It is not the events themselves that matter, you see
It is your attitude more than anything that’s key.
So act on what you know now, and give it everything you’ve got
There’s power in focus, action and positive thought
Your transformation is not a sudden big bang,
And it is not an instant genius stroke from a magic wand,
Rather, it is simply a journey each day re-started
A gradual, sometimes painful, not-so-graceful, long walk on a path uncharted.
And above it all, I must confess, it is the most beautiful process
With each step you behold the light within as it beams
And become more of the being you were created to be.
You are an original with different gifts that you must plant as seeds
For there’s something unique inside you that the world needs.
In this moment, pause, take a life-breath and embrace your purpose
Yes, indeed, life is merely a series of NOWs.
All of life is indeed a series of moments.
Your purpose is to make sure that each moment counts!
© ‘Kego Onyido
- 19 Motivational Quotes from Albert Einstein (lifehack.org)
- Thought of the day (Tough times) (madzahmed1991.wordpress.com)
- You Can See a Lot Just by Looking (integral-living.com)
- Book of the Week: On a Beam of Light: A Story of Albert Einstein (designmom.com)
Congratulations to the 25 writers selected to participate in 2013 Farafina Trust Creative Writing Workshop hosted by the talented Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie!
In April, Farafina Trust called for entries for the 2013 Farafina Trust creative writing workshop, inviting writers from all over the world to submit their short pieces. From the numerous applicants, twenty-five outstanding writers have been selected to participate in the workshop this year, which will be taught by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, Eghosa Imasuen, Binyavanga Wainaina and other writers of note.
The selected writers this year are:
1. Zenique Gardner (USA)
2. Maryam Shuaib (Minna)
3. Tolu Agunbiade (Ketu)
4. Timendu Aghahowa (Ikeja)
5. Abdulrashid Muhammad (Abuja)
6. Uchenna Ude (Lagos)
7. Udoh Charles Rapulu (Onitsha)
8. Gbolahan Adeola (USA)
9. Lilian Izuorah (Minna)
10. Suleiman Agbonkhianmen ( Lagos)
11. Nicholas Ochiel (Kenya)
12. Yakubu Damilola Daniel (Kwara)
13. Kelechi Njoku (Abuja)
14. Lesley Nneka Arimah (USA)
15. Tajudeen Sagaya (Lagos)
16. Adaora Nwankwo (Onitsha)
17. Chidinma Nnamani (Enugu)
18. Arinze Daniel Ifeakandu (Kano)
19. Okpanachi Eyo Michael (Zaria)
20. Okechukwu Otukwu…
View original post 23 more words
“Wealth is not merely material gain but a state of mind.”
Wealth is first and foremost a mindset! Do not just think outside the box, think as if there was no box. Everything is possible, the universe is limitless. Make your life as simple as possible so you may make room for the creative plane. Wealth is an exchange of value. People will pay for anything that adds value to their lives.
Figure out a way to articulate other people’s pain with better clarity than they would on their own, and provide solutions that address their pain. The customer defines what is valuable for him, your role is not to question it but to anticipate and solve it! Learn to live within your means and invest the difference. Then re-invest the proceeds of your initial investments until you hit critical mass!
Leverage both your resources and other people’s resources (Time, Money, Energy, Networks). This is the era of collaboration. You cannot do it alone, reach out to people in your network and join forces together to bring your ideas to life! Know the phase you’re in, channel your resources into one idea at a time, you CANNOT afford to be all over the place, you have to FOCUS and take ACTION.
The universe rewards those who take action, and in particular, those who do it really, really fast! Ideas are a dime a dozen, dreams are easy to conceive. The difference between the wealthy and those who are not, is that the wealthy wake up from their dreams and actually pursue their dreams with everything they’ve got. Are you committed to your ideas and dreams? Are you willing to spend your Time, Talents, Treasures, Money, Energy and even Reputation? How many NO’s will make you quit? Or will you keep going until your dreams are manifest into reality?
Living a life of Wealth or Abundance means living in a zone where you see opportunity and learning in ALL situations and/or encounters. You are able to separate people from their behaviours and rather focus on providing solutions and adding value. Are you willing to change your self-talk and create new movies in your head? Are you ready to make the necessary sacrifices today, to create the tomorrow of your dreams? As you read this piece, ponder on the following: Time is a precious commodity. You cannot save or invest it, you can only SPEND it. Are you ready to start using your time wisely? See below for some principles that lead to creating and sustaining wealth.
7 Habits/Principles for a Wealthy and Abundant life:
1. Response-Ability: Begin to develop a sense of responsibility and integrity in all your actions. Be honest to all and most of all to yourself. Take a look at your present situation and reflect on the choices and decisions that have led you here. Do a sincere and thorough financial audit on yourself. Are you responsible with respect to paying your bills? Do you constantly spend over and beyond what you earn? Are you living a congruent life or are you living a lie? Are you living within your means and needs? Are you in balance or out of balance? What is your ability to respond to challenges? Be accountable for your actions and DECIDE to take control today!
2. Perception is Projection: You cannot become that which you despise. Examine your attitude towards successful/wealthy people around you. Are you open and humble enough to learn from them or do you resent them for their success? Every encounter we experience happens to teach us something valuable. Are you paying attention to the lessons life is constantly teaching you? It is not what you’re looking at that counts, rather, it is what you are CHOOSING to see. We see the world as a reflection of ourselves. Pay attention to that which irritates or excites you about others, perhaps they are there to draw your attention to what you need to improve upon, areas of your life you should pay attention to or even positive traits you already have and not yet manifesting. Everything is energy and all our emotions vibrate at particular frequencies. If it is NOT already in you, it will not resonate with you. Life is basically NEUTRAL, we create the positive or negative experiences, sometimes out of our own awareness. We have the power to respond. We choose the energy we give to things and people!
3. Cause vs Effect: Are you in a co-creative mind space where you take ownership for your life or are you still playing the victim card, blaming everyone else and everything outside of you as the reason for your situation. Do you look at life through ‘WOW ME’ lens or are you always looking through a perennial ‘WOE ME’ lens? Are you at cause for the results in your physical universe or stuck in vicious blame-shame-pain cycle? Become a self-leader and take control of your life. You cannot lead others or attract wealth if you fail to lead yourself! Own both your awesomeness and own your crap! Learn to do the difficult things that everyone else is not doing. To be at cause means you are not caught up in arguing for your excuses and limitations, rather you are committed and disciplined enough to focus on only solutions and results!
4. Respect: (Definition-A feeling of deep admiration for someone or something elicited by their abilities, qualities or achievements). Do you respect yourself and others? Do you respect your time, talents, skills, networks, energy? Do you treat things or people with the value they deserve? Respect is one of those rare values that is reciprocal. The attitude with which you relate to people and things (including money) will be reflected back at you! Money is an energy, it flows and grows where its seeds are sowed and nurtured. It does not respect pedigree, titles, degrees, gender, marital status, intellect or smarts….anyone who simply follows the universal principles of wealth and roots their mindset and action in these principles, will be rewarded with its fruits.
5. Patterns: Wealth and Abundance manifests in a series of patterns and synchronizations. Money in itself is not merely a tangible entity, rather it is a tool, a concept, a symbol of exchange. Are you paying attention to your patterns of ‘thoughts-words-action’ with respect to money, abundance and wealth? Begin to reflect on and study your money beliefs, habits, and manifestation patterns, until you pattern-interrupt what you are currently doing now, you will be stuck with the same results! Hire a professional money coach if you have to and install new strategies or values to achieve your dreams.
6. Change: Consider what your life would be like if you simply continued doing what you are doing now. Will this path lead you to a life of Abundance or of Poverty? Will you thrive or merely survive? Change of mindset is necessary in order to chart a new life of prosperity, wealth and abundance. There are many professionals and business owners who earn a decent income and yet are plagued by a ‘poverty mindset’ and so never attain true wealth. How willing are you to embrace change and do things differently so that you can progress through the silos of Wealth (Financial Stability to Financial Independence, and then to Financial Freedom?) Are you ready and disciplined enough to take the simple, not so easy, yet necessary steps that will enrich your life? A wealth mindset is hardwired for change. Your success is directly tied to your ability to anticipate, embrace and adapt to change.
7. Who’s in your crowd? There’s an old African proverb which states: ‘That which you stare at long enough, you begin to resemble.’ Who are you following and hanging out with? What are you talking about? What are you doing? To a very large extent, the people around you determine who and what you become. Are you surrounding yourself with those that reflect what you desire in life? Are you constantly in circles where you can learn and grow? The easiest way to grow is to be the least person in any Are you willing to go out of your comfort zone and model people who personify excellence? Are you ready to take ACTION? In the words of Tony Robbins, “The path to success is to take massive, determined action.”
“Wealth is the ability to fully experience life.” ~Henry David Thoreau~
- Bloggers Note: Are you ready to play the Money/Wealth/Abundance game at 100%? We are not just looking for people who want to change, we’re seeking serious, committed leaders who want to transform NOW! Register today and join us for a webinar on Financial Literacy: https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/rt/2370368201276189184
The preceding is a guest post from Juliet Ume, MBA –Strategic Interventionist, Wealth Management Consultant & Leadership-Coach at Whole Woman Network. Juliet is an avid Life Connoisseur and a passionate advocate of WomEntrepreneurship, Investment & Financial Literacy for women. Her mission is simply to engage, educate and empower women, regardless of their levels of income or background, to return to ‘wholeness’ and live Healthier, Sexier, Wealthier Lives using Faith-Based, Scientific and Universal (Common-Sense) principles! Follow her on Twitter: @wholewomaninc, @julietumeinc
- An abundant mind = an abundant life (katkinnie.wordpress.com)
- National Volunteer Week: Why True Wealth Involves Giving Back (community.ally.com)
- The Abundance YOU Deserve (gelaguiuo.wordpress.com)